Clinical Practice Guideline: Diagnosis and Management of Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD)
Brief Description: Provide clinicians information to guide their understanding of the appropriate testing to order for patients presenting with fatty liver (a.k.a. hepatic steatosis) on ultrasound.
- NAFLD affects about 25% of global population with increased mortality in patients with non‐alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and hepatic fibrosis
- Referral to Hepatology is recommended for all NAFLD patients with advanced hepatic fibrosis
- All patients with NAFLD should be:
- Assessed for presence of hepatic fibrosis
- Educated on healthy lifestyle and weight management
- Regularly monitored for worsening condition