Clinical Practice Guideline: Hepatic Encephalopathy Diagnosis and Management
Brief Description: To aid in the rapid diagnosis of patients presenting with symptoms of hepatic encephalopathy (HE), improve quality of life, mortality, and to decrease hospital readmission rate.
• Hepatic encephalopathy (HE) is a common complication of cirrhosis often requiring hospitalization and is associated with a high readmission rate
• HE can be secondary to acute liver failure, portosystemic shunts, or cirrhosis
• Clinically, HE presents on a continuum of slight confusion to coma
• HE can be divided by time course: episodic, recurrent, or persistent
• For delirium unrelated to HE or multi-factorial, please refer to the Inpatient Management and Prevention of Delirium guideline